Monday, November 05, 2007

Type WHAT?!


5 November 2007 Day 28
Originally uploaded by lilituc.

So I've actually seen the words coming out of her mouth on Inside the Actors Studio. It's not better than what was reported; it's worse!

Halle: I had no understanding of what diabetes was. I instantly thought I was going to die, because I heard, "disease" and "okay, after disease there must be death." And I got a very quick education about what diabetes was, and I realize that I probably had it for most of my childhood, but when you're diabetic, nothing hurts.

James Lipton: Is this Type 1?

Halle: It is really Type 1, but classified now as Type 2 because I'm no longer insulin dependent. I was for awhile, and I've managed to wean myself off of insulin, so now I like to put myself in the Type 2 category.

James Lipton: You control it with diet and with exercise?

Halle: Yes.

This is our JDRF spokesperson?

5 comments:

Allison said...

That is insane...

BTW- Halle Berry is not a JDRF spokesperson. She is, however, the official spokesperson for the Novo Nordisk Diabetes Aware campaign... though I'm not sure that is going on anymore. That was a press release I read a couple years ago.

But she is definitely NOT a part of JDRF. Mary Tyler Moore is however the international chairman.

Lili said...

Good point, Allison. I heard many times she was a spokesperson, but I think really it was that she was a speaker. Novo tried to give me a Halle Berry poster at the ADA conference I went to earlier this year, though.

Christine said...

Your right, that is than the version I heard. When you're diabetic, nothing hurts? She probably had it most of her childhood? Good lord.

Major Bedhead said...

I wrote about this over on Blogabetes, on the dLife site. I'm still seething over her words. She has no business being a spokesperson for anything diabetes related if she, or her doctors, cannot come to a conclusion as to what type of diabetes she has. IMO, it's type 2 and she's got some weird shame thing going on. It's totally weird.

Lili said...

I don't know what she has, if it's Type 2, Type 1b, MODY. I guess we just know it's not Type 1.