Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fantasy Diabetes Device


Sure-T (that better be Batman)
Originally uploaded by lilituc.


Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary.  Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be?  Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc etc etc.  The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?

I am not a visionary. I believe I was once deemed "the least creative kid I ever saw" in school. It's even harder for me when there are no limits. So, I don't know what I would want if the sky was the limit. I am more of a down-to-earth person.

Some things I do want - more apps that work with my Blackberry (yes, I hear that snickering). I used to have Calorie King on my Palm and it was amazing. They haven't come up with anything useful in years, though, and their mobile site is unusable. I just wish for something with the functionality of that Palm app from 2004 for Calorie King. I assume there must be some monumental challenges given the lack of progress, but I wish someone would do it.

I would also like an insulin pump that's less yesterday's technology tomorrow (as we say at work). I feel like my insulin pump was already old when I got it, and hardly anything has changed in six years. I am kind of excited about the t-slim, and I hope to see it soon. I would like open access to my data, as Bernard always says.

The one aspect of diabetes that gets me down is the nuisance factor. I want tools that don't stop me from doing what I want to do and throw up roadblocks in my way - I want tools that actually help me and make things easier.

No comments: